Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Distracted Mom's Lip Gloss

Wow! Things in our household have been a wee bit crazy the last few weeks. (Okay, 'crazier'.)
Benjamin had some tummy issues for a couple days, Nic was home feeling crappy for one day and Livi tested positive for having mono. Let's just say there have been LOTS of "stay home" days for me lately.

Most of you know that, for me, running to the store can be therapeutic as it allows me to step away from the monotony and gets me out of the constant need for household chores... just a long enough reprieve to once again be ready to conquer the loads of laundry, the piles of dishes and the strewn toys once again.

Having prefaced my story adequately, I'll tell you about my total "Mom" moment tonight. Tonight was my Women's Ministry "dinner group" that meets once a month. I wasn't able to attend last month b/c of sick kid's, so I was excited to have and hour and a half to eat sloooowly, chat and listen to the gals in my group tonight.... with NO kids. As I was driving myself there, thinking about a million things and praying a little too, a thought popped into my head... "I didn't even look in the mirror before leaving. I wonder if I look presentable." Not really being able to do that while driving, I thought I could at least put on a little lip gloss... that always seems to make me feel a wee bit fancified, even if my hair was sticking straight up... oh, wait, it aways sticks up now... or if there was snot and/or food staining the shoulders of my shirt. Yes, Mom's you know exactly what I mean. So, I reached for the lip gloss that I ALWAYS keep in the handle of my drivers side door. My fingers found it and my brain just went into "autopilot" .... seeing that Iv'e put lip gloss on a time or two. As I spread the lip gloss over my lips, in between the many thoughts racing through my mind, I thought, 'this lip gloss feels sort of grainy... wonder if it froze? ' Then I thought, ' wait, it taste sort of funny.... WHOA.... what is this?'. Wouldn't you know... I had somehow forgotten that I threw a special something, in that same little nook, for Livi... Orajel! My lips now felt about 10x the size they should be!  I was only about 2 mins from my meeting place and my lips were now completely NUMB! Lol....  A total distracted "Mom" moment.

I was able to laugh about my mishap and still enjoy time with some beautiful women... both inside and out.

On my way home, in the stillness of my van, I was even able to thank God that I had reason for the Orajel smothering my lips. I have 5 beautiful children... all unique and all precious to me. For them, I choose to open the door to many more "Mom" moments with joy and with a smile in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sometimes, in the midst of uncertainty, being thankful takes intentionality. We have so much to be thankful for... always.  I am so th...